ARABIC-L: LING: Long vowels response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Jan 8 20:42:50 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Long vowels response

Date: 08 Jan 1999
From: "R. Hoberman" <rdhoberman at ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Subject: Long vowels response

In all the examples of words with three long vowels posted so far, one of
the vowels has been in an inflectional suffix (-aat, -aani, -uuna). Trying
to think of any with three long vowels in the stem I come up with
&aashuuraa' (&=&ayn), though here too the -aa' is a suffix, but a
derivational one I suppose.  The interesting thing is that this word
apparently has a variant with a short first vowel:  &ashuuraa', suggesting
that words with three long vowels might be somehow anomalous, not just
rare. Are there other nouns on this wazn?

Bob Hoberman