ARABIC-L: LING: Long vowels responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 11 17:22:17 UTC 1999

1) Subject: loan words
2) Subject: number of vowels in words
3) Subject: Long vowels discussion

Date: 11 Jan 1999
From: "Buckwalter, Tim" <TimB at alpinemedia.COM>
Subject: loan words

Although the root morpheme ('ayn-shiin-raa') is undisputed, the pattern
morpheme _aa_uu_aa' is not found in any other Arabic word that I know
of. Wehr does list the word zaajuuraa, but this is an obvious loan word.
My search for words with CvvCvvCvv yielded only additional loan words
(e.g. brwfyswr, fwnwgrAf, hwlywwd, etc.).

Tim Buckwalter