ARABIC-L: LING: Arabic plural morphology response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 11 17:08:10 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Paper
2) Subject: Sources

Date: 11 Jan 1999
From: "Robert R. Ratcliffe" <ratcliff at fs.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject: Paper

I wrote a paper on just this topic a long time ago when I was still a
graduate student: Ratcliffe, R. 1990. "Arabic Broken Plurals: Arguments
for a Two-fold Classification of Morphology" Perspectives on Arabic
Linguistics II.ed. Mushira Eid and John McCarthy, 94-119. John
Benjamins.

Later when I was researching my dissertation (The Broken Plural Problem
In Arabic, Semitic and Afroasiatic, Yale 1992)  I remember noting that
someone surprisingly early in the literature had made the comment that
the broken plural was a derivational and not an inflectional category.
I just made a cursory search for the reference but now I can't find it.

The conclusion I draw from points like those you mention is that
inflection and derivation are accidental (as opposed to universal)
categories.  It happens that in some (European) languages, formal,
semantic, syntactic, and other properties of morphemes or morphological
processes tend to converge in a certain way, but in other languages the
convergence doesn't occur in the same way. This is one of the issues
that has caused me to lose faith in the generative approach.
Generativists take a handful of received ideas about language drawn from
traditional grammar, classical logic, Saussure, etc. and elevate them to
the status of universals.  Then rather than revise the revise the
proposed universals when the data doesn't fit they try to explain away
the problematic data using underlying processes, abstract forms, etc.. I
think a typological and statistical approach to an issue like this would
be more likely to be fruitful: Which properties always converge, which
properties frequently, which rarely, and why.

By the way I have a book on the broken plural just coming out from
Benjamins. (It's been announced, though I haven't seen it yet): The
‘Broken’ Plural Problem in Arabic and Comparative Semitic: Allomorphy
and Analogy in Non-Concatenative Morphology.

Best Wishes,

Robert R. Ratcliffe
Senior Lecturer, Arabic and Linguistics,
Dept. of Linguistics and Information Science
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
Nishigahara 4-51-21, Kita-ku
Tokyo 114 Japan