ARABIC-L: LING: Question on Maimonides

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 13 17:30:55 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Question on Maimonides

Date: 13 Jan 1999
From: djust at netvision.net.il
Subject: Question on Maimonides

The Mishnah in Sabbath (5, 4) says: One isn't allowed to put
seasonings into a cooking pot or cooking bowl which one has
removed from the fire, but one can put them into the serving bowl
(q at rh) or into the serving dish.
On this Maimonides writes:
fHrm 'n trmy 'l't'bl fy 'w'ny 'lTbk why fy jly'nh l'nh Tbk 'm' 'n Sb fy
'lq at rh w at ly 'nh jly'n yrmy fyh l'n 'lT@'m hn'k 'ql Hr'rh wlys yTbk
ma rmy fyh.
('=alif)
Which I understand to mean:
And it is forbidden to put seasonings into the food being cooked
while it is boiling(?) because this is cooking, but if he puts it (the
food) into the serving-bowl even when the food is boiling(?) he
can put the seasoning into the food, since the heat of the food is
decreased there (by the cool material of the serving-bowl), and
thus what he puts into the food isn't cooked.
If so, 'ql Hr'rh would seem to be a passive, uqilla Hr'rh, I guess.
Any opinions on 'ql and the meaning of the passage?  This
interpretation seems to make more sense in both syntax and
physics than anything else I can think of.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
David.