ARABIC-L: LING: Storyteller discussion

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 13 19:43:25 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Hakawatis
2) Subject: Shahrazad
3) Subject: Qaass, Hakawati
4) Subject: Al-Raawy, Al-Haaky
5) Subject: stories

Date: 13 Jan 1999
From: GnhBos at aol.com
Subject: Hakawatis

In the old days, they used to gather around the "7akawati / Hakawati"
who told stories. "Hakawatis" kept folk tales alive, and they are known
for their style and animation.

I remember one from childhood who would whip his "Khayzarani"
(a bamboo stick that goes with the Beiruti folkloric "U'mbaz" dress)
on the table in participation, while we are all ears with jaws dropped...
Hakawatis are good at what they do, and they sure know the Arabic
language well.

George N. Hallak
http://aramedia.com