ARABIC-L: LING: Adjectives response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 25 19:53:35 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Adjectives modifying construct phrases response

Date: 25 Jan 1999
From: waheed samy <w_samy at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: Adjectives modifying construct phrases response

Hi Andy;

>  Consider if you will the following construct phrase bening modified by
>two adjectives:
>
>   NOUN       NOUN      NOUN        NOUN         ADJ         ADJ
> farmalatu sayyaarati mudiiirati sh-sharikati dh-dhakiyyati T-Tawiilati

>  (the)brakes(f.nom) (the)car(f.gen.) (the)director(f.gen.)
>the-company(f.gen) the-intelligent(f.gen) the-tall/long(f.gen)
>
>  I can wring out at least two workable meanings:
>
>  The brakes of the car of the tall intelligent director of the company
>  The brakes of the long car of the intelligent director of the company
> * the brakes of the long intelligent car of the director of the company
>
> I have four questions.
>
>  1) Does the current word order "work" for you.  If not what would you
>     do to "fix it up?"

The sentence is a bit contrived.
The sentence is too long, for it to work I would throw out the
adjectives.

>  2) If you were to insert the adjective "xarbaana", or "mu9aTTala",
>     referring to the car's brakes, where in the above Arabic string would
>     you put it?
>
>     a. farmalatu sayyaarati mudiiirati sh-sharikati l-xarbaanati
>        dh-dhakiyyati T-Tawiilati
>     b. farmalatu sayyaarati mudiiirati sh-sharikati dh-dhakiyyati
>        l-xarbaanati T-Tawiilati
>     c. farmalatu sayyaarati mudiiirati sh-sharikati dh-dhakiyyati
>        T-Tawiilati l-xarbaanati

I would not accept any of the above alternatives.

0

>  4) What is the most comfortable way of expressing this meaning in your
>     home dialect of Arabic?

In Egyptian Colloquial Arabic (ECA), I would use a gumla 'ismiyya (mubtada'
and x at b@r) whose x at b@r is a gumla 'ismiyya

mubtada':   mudirt ishshirka, illi hiyya nn at CHa TT at wiila dahiyyan
x at b@r :     f at rm@lt il3 at r@biyya pta3itha b at yZ@

In Arabic (1256):

Waheed