Arabic-L:LING:Sweet Talk Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Jul 6 16:03:44 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Sweet Talk Query

Date: 06 Jul 1999
From: Russell Arent <rarent at STCLOUDSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Sweet Talk Query

I am attempting to incorporate a small section on the phenomenon of 'sweet
talk' in a manuscript and have run into some confusion over which term(s)
might be in present use.  I have heard that some Arabic native speakers use
"mujaamala" (from the root: jeem, meem, laam); one of the meanings listed
for that word in Wehr is 'flattery' (3rd edition, p.137). I have located
two dictionaries thus far which specifically address the issue. In Hasan S.
Karmi's "Al-Mughni Al-Akbar", the word "zahlaja" (from the root:?)is listed
as the only entry for "sweet talk" (p.1415).  In a 1994 edition of
"Al-Mawrid" the word "yatamalaq" is listed for "sweet-talk" (p.937), the
root of which (meem, lam, qaf) according to Wehr means "to flatter"
(p.921). I have also heard that "musaayara" (from the root:seen, yaa, raa)
may be in use in Palestine/Israel, though it's meaning is listed as
"adaptation, adjustment" in Wehr (3rd edition, p.447).

Is there any relevant literature on this subject?  Would anyone happen to
know which term(s) are in present use in the colloquial varieties in
specific regions of the Arab world?  I am most interested in the Levant and
Gulf regions, but am curious about the others as well. Is there a single
accepted term in MSA (i.e., fuSHaa)?

Thank you in advance for any further elaborations/clarifications/corrections.

Regards,

Russ Arent

P.S. I'm aware that the $50 required for the 4th edition of Wehr (now
available in the US in paperback) is well worth the money, but haven't
gotten around to buying it yet, so my apologies if the newer edition has
more information on this  term.