ARABIC-L: LING: glottal lingual activity query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Jun 4 16:49:39 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Question about glottal lingual activity

Date: 04 Jun 1999
From: Christian Nuytten <nuytten at skynet.be>
Subject: Question about glottal lingual activity

Hello to all,

I have a question concerning the use of the voice in the Arabian language.
I would like to quote from a book I'm reading
('What happens in singing' by Gerard Macworth-Young (1953) - (p48)):

..."The 'glottic shock', or 'glotal stop' as it is called in phonetics,
has been the subject of much barren controversy in the singing world
ever since the aged Garcia, who called it the 'coup the glotte',
advocated its use in all vowel attacks.
Phonetically, the device is a consonant, formed by bringing the vocal cords
together
without vibration and then releasing them with a tiny explosion.
In arabic, it is a recognised consonant with a name and place in the alphabet.
It does not appear as a recognised consonant in any European language....."

If I may, I have some questions about this fragment:
- Is what is written by the author true?
- What is the name of this consonant?
- How is it written?
- Are there different forms in which it appears?
- What is the background (history) of its existance in the Arabian language?
- How is it pronounced?

Thank you.

Warm regards,
sincerely,