ARABIC-L: LING: Geographical Names Discussion (More)

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Mar 12 21:53:10 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Iraqi Names
2) Subject: Saudi Names
3) Subject: Egyptian Names
4) Subject: Nisbas & Broken Plurals

Date: 12 Mar 1999
From: "A. FERHADI" <af3 at is2.nyu.edu>
Subject: Iraqi Names

Let me add a few such geographical names from Iraq. Please note that /gh/
represents /ghayn/ as in gharb = west. /@/ is /@yn/ is @asal =honey.

/baghdaadi/ is a male person from Baghdad, pronounced /baghdaad/ and the
plural is /baghaadda/. The middle daal is elided and the remaining daal is
stressed.

As for the city of al-mawSil, locally pronounced as /muuSil/, a male person
from that city is referred to as muSlaawi. The plural is miSaalwa in the
city itself but elsewhere it is often miwaaSla. Whether you metathesize or
not, the vowel immediately following /m/ is more of a schwa than a kasra.
The same is true of the singular  /miSlaawi/ in the ideolect of many.
Incidentally, the famous musicians ziryaab and isHaaq al-muuSilli or
al-mawSilli of medieval times are originally from this city. So is the
famous medieval poet abu tammaam who worked as a 'postman' there. Today,
you see a statue  of the poet greeting you when you enter al-mawSil, from
the east.

Curiously, Kirkuk /karkuuk/ has a Turkish-based suffix nisba in the
singular: karkukli and the plural is karkukliyya. al-mawSil and karkuuk are
in the north.

In the south:

Basrah /baSra/ ----> baSraawi (sg) and baSaarwa (pl)

al- at imaara (ending in taa' marbuuTa) pronounced /@imaara/ or /i at maara/ with
a pronthetic vowel. In both cases, the vowel preceding or following @ is a
schwa  not a kasra. A male person from this city is @maaratli as in mas at uud
il-i at maaratli, the renowned muTrib al-baadiya whose name  is synonymous
with country music. His "soda sh-lahhaani yaa buuya" is still ringing in my
ears! Our friend, Muhammad Jiyad, may want to elaborate on this.

Ahmed Ferhadi
New York University