ARABIC-L: LIT: Fiction; Web Publishing Queries

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 29 17:15:52 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Fiction; Web Publishing Queries

Date: 29 Mar 1999
From: Andrew Freeman <andyf at umich.edu>
Subject: Fiction; Web Publishing Queries

Hi,

  I am getting ready to scan in a as large a quantity of Arabic text as I
can do in one summer so that I can use Sakhr's OCR program to convert them
to character data, in shaa' allaah.

I have two broad purposes:
1)
  I want to create a relatively small (100,000< words < 1,000,000,) corpus
of both Modern Standard and Classical Arabic texts.

  I would like to compare Modern Standard with Classical Texts

	a) fiction
	b) theology
	c) science
	d) kalaam
	e) fiqh

  I would also like to compare MSA from the Maghrib with MSA from the
Mashriq
	a) fiction
	b) newspapers
	c) technical writing

	Question one:

	Who should I use for good examples of fiction????
SO far
I have:
        Mashriq			Maghhreb
	Huda Barakaat		Mohammed Barrada
	Naguib Mahfouz		Bahouche Yacine
	Hanan Al-Shaykh		????????
	Yusif Idriis
	Tayeb Salih
	Abdul Rahmaan Al-Sharqawi
	Ibrahim al-Hariri
 	Rashid Al-Da'if
	Elias Khoury
	Salim Barakaat
	Salwaa Bakr
	Najwaa Barakaat
	Ahmed Baydoun
	Ghada Samman
Classical:

	kalila wa damma, 1001 nights, ibn Khaldoun, ibn Arabi, ibn Batouta

2) I would also like to put up as much as I can onto a Web page.

   Does anybody know what any of the copyright issues are?? What, if
anything, can I put up with impunity?  If I protect it behind a password
and make it into a "library", for language teachers and linguists does
that make a difference???? Can anybody point me at a relevant Web page or
something?
   Also any contact information for any Authors or journals would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Andrew Freeman
Ph.D. student Arabic Linguistics