ARABIC-L: LIT: Fiction; Web Publishing Reply

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:45:29 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Copyrights

Date: 30 Mar 1999
From: GnhBos at aol.com
Subject: Copyrights

>  2) I would also like to put up as much as I can onto a Web page.
>
>     Does anybody know what any of the copyright issues are?? What, if
>  anything, can I put up with impunity?  If I protect it behind a password
>  and make it into a "library", for language teachers and linguists does
>  that make a difference???? Can anybody point me at a relevant Web page or
>  something?
>     Also any contact information for any Authors or journals would be
>  greatly appreciated.
>
>  Thanx,
>
>  Andrew Freeman
>  Ph.D. student Arabic Linguistics
>  U of M,
>  Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

My partner and I, were talking about starting a website dedicated
to free information about Arabic language and technology. We did
register "arabicsoftware.org", soon will be up soliciting contributions
from my fellow Arabic-L mailing list.

Ah, copyright?! I could not start telling you how much it hurts
to see your work being plagiarized. AramediA's site has been
plagiarized in its entirety, by someone who was given the first
Webpage making lesson by the undersigned: "ittakou Sharra
Mann A7santa iLayhem".

Do not tell the thief, but I spoke to our attorney, Internet copyright
is not defined and without precedent; a copyright warning at the
bottom of the page is not a protection, unless copyrighted at an
attorney's, the right way.

I think it is OK to post material that is not used for profit, and credit
given to authors/writers/composers in recognition for their work, and
asking for permission, when possible, will not hurt.

George N. Hallak
www.aramedia.com