ARABIC-L: LING: AIDA 2000 Conference Announcement

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon May 3 19:31:34 UTC 1999

1) Subject: AIDA 2000 Conference (Arabic Dialectology)

Date: 03 May 1999
From: Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: AIDA 2000 Conference (Arabic Dialectology)

The following was sent out to AIDA members.  I believe many of you who are
not currently AIDA members would be interested.  I thoroughly enjoyed the
last AIDA Conference in Malta.  Best, Kirk

P.S. If you plan to go, you need to respond immediately.  Unfortunately, it
appears you must do so by conventional mail, not email.

ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONALE DE DIALECTOLOGIE ARABE (AIDA)
4th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
Morocco, April  2000
In association with the Department of English of the Faculty of Letters and
Social Sciences of Mohammed V University - Rabat

Dear Colleagues,

As announced at the Conference in Malta last year, the 4th AIDA Conference
will be held in Morocco  (Sat. April 1st through Tues. 4th, 2000).

The members of the organizing committee (which is constituted of Aberrafi
Benhallam, Fouzia Benjelloun, Mohammed Dahbi, Hafida El Amrani, Mohammed
Ezroura, Zakia Iraqi-Sinaceur, Simon Levy, and Abderrahim Youssi) are
working towards accommodating the conference in Marrakech; the exact venue
of the Conference will be announced at a later stage, as well as
information about costs, proceedings, social and cultural events, etc.

Proposed papers to be delivered at the Conference should deal with
specific aspects of the dialects of Arabic, i.e. a paper should fit into
one the following categories :

1.Descriptive linguistics (synchronic or diachronic, at any one of the
structural levels of analysis).
2.Applied linguistics (sociolinguistics, comparative dialectology).
3.Geographical studies and linguistic atlases (concerned with the Arabic
speaking communities).
3.Oral literature and the dialects in the audio-visual media
4.Linguistic typology (by reference to the Arabic speaking communities).

The Conference organizers wish to suggest that the focus in the research
presented during this conference, whenever possible and/or appropriate, be
on any one the following topics :

  I- Facts and implications of code-switching in contact situations
 II- The social dynamics and the linguistic evolutionary tendencies
III-Language as a factor of socio-economic and cultural development

Contributions -this goes without saying- consist of original, unpublished
work that has not been previously read at other conferences. In either
Arabic, English, French, or Spanish, presentations will not exceed 30 min,
discussion included.

Depending on the number of proposals received for papers to be read, we
plan to hold a maximum of ten sessions (three mornings and three
afternoons), some of which will be run concurrently. One session will be
devoted to the Aida general Assembly. We are counting on everybody to help
us manage the conference adequately and make our preparations efficient so
as to make of the conference -for all concerned-a pleasant and satisfactory
occasion.

If you plan to attend the Conference, you are kindly requested to fill out
the enclosed form upon receipt of this circular letter or at least not
later than May15 ,1999, and mail to : Abderrahim Youssi, C9, Coop. Ouhoud
Guich-Oudaya.  10 000- Rabat. MOROCCO; or Fax (212) (7) 77 20 68. Only
those Colleagues who respond to this 1st circular letter will receive the
second circular letter. There will be a conference fee of $ 30, to be paid
later along with the payment for your other bookings, the breakdown of
which will be communicated to you in due course.

Participants who intend to read a paper are requested to send in an
abstract (about 300 words) before June 30th, 1999.

With friendly regards to all AIDA members, and hoping that most of you
not only would show interest but would also be able to attend, we remain
yours AIDIALLY,

On behalf of the Organizing Committee
A.Youssi

REGISTRATION FORM
(To be filled out and sent back by mail not later than May 15, 1999)
Please use BLOCK LETTERS

NAME :

ADDRESS :

TEL :							FAX :

E-mail :

I intend to read paper (Please tick as appropriate) [   ]

Do not intend to read a paper  [    ]

Provisional title of proposed papaper :

Proposed paper would fit into the following category(-ies) (see text of
Circular letter) :
	-

Date :						Signature :

Mail back to : Abderrahim YOUSSI			Fax : 212-7-77 20 68

		C9, Coop. Ohoud , Guich-Oudaya
		10 000 Rabat -MOROCCO
			(North Africa)