Arabic-L:LING:Grammar response and book announcement

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 17 17:21:59 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Grammar response and book announcement

Date: 17 Nov 1999
From: Adrian Gully <gully at aus.ac.ae>
Subject: Grammar response and book announcement

In addition to those works already mentioned you might also consider
Vicente Cantarino's Syntax of Modern Arabic Prose (3 vols) published by
Indian University Press in 1974.  I am pretty sure it is out of print
now but all good libraries should have a copy.  It is not a textbook but
is nonetheless an extremely useful reference for mainly literary Arabic.

May I take the liberty of informing colleagues about the following work
which has not yet been published but is in its advanced stages of
preparation:

A Reference Grammar of Modern Written Arabic by El Said Badawi, Michael
Carter and Adrian Gully scheduled for publication by Routledge in
December
2000.

This work, based on a corpus of original data, aims to fill a genuine
need in the field for a one-step reference guide to written Arabic as it
is found in literary and media sources.

Thank you.

Adrian Gully
American University of Sharjah