Arabic-L:PEDA:Dickins & Watkins responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 17 17:30:13 UTC 1999

1) Subject: Dickins & Watkins response

Date: 17 Nov 1999
From:  Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: Dickins & Watkins response

James Dickins and Janet C. E. Watson's Standard Arabic: An Advanced Course
(Cambridge University Press, 1999) looks to be a great resource (based on a
cursory examination).  Their approach is an interesting combination of old
and new.  For example, many of the drills are of the translation type
(translation skills are one of the stated goals of the authors).  On the
other hand, each lesson includes activities based on "aural texts" from
sources such as the BBC "Pick of the Month" series.  Each lesson also
contains helpful outlines for meaningful oral work.  I noted with interest
that they advocate such discussions be conducted in colloquial Arabic (they
suggest the written texts be discussed in MSA).  Discussion questions in
the "Oral" sections are given only in MSA, however.

We hope to include this work in AATA's "Textbook Review Packet" soon:

http://humanities.byu.edu/AATA/packetrequestform.html

Best,

Kirk