Arabic-L:LING:taltalah response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 28 14:51:21 UTC 1999

1) Subject: taltalah response

Date: 28 Oct 1999
From: Fred <fredlag at worldnet.fr>
Subject: taltalah response

>Can anyone cite a source from the old Grammarians for a
>definition/description of taltalah, other than what is available in lisaan
>al-`arab and muHiiT al-muHiiT? I would be most appreciative.
> David Mehall

There is a deliciously obscene anecdote about taltala in al-Hariiri's
"durrat al-GhawwaaS", section 191 "qawluhum li-l-mukhaaTab ham fa3alta
wa-ham kharagta", p 650/651 in the dar al-Giil edition of 1996, when famous
poetess Layla al-Akhiliyya is tricked by al-Sha3abi into asking, in front
of caliph 3Abd al-malik b. Marwaan, "wayhaka, a ma naktani?" (woe on you,
what do you mean we don't use a kunya?", which she unfortunately pronounces
"a ma niktani?"
... wa-staghraqa 3Abd al-malik fi D-DaHk...

You might also check SuyuuTi's Muzhir, although I can't find any mention of
it in the "ma3rifat al-radii' al-madhmuum min al-lughaat" section...

Frederic Lagrange.