Arabic-L:LING:Zagazig query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Aug 25 00:02:17 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Zagazig query

Date: 24 Aug 2000
From: jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Subject: Zagazig query

A plea for help from a non-Arabist: I wonder if list members would
have any opinions on the pronunciation of <Zagazig>, a city in the
Nile Delta.  We have on record (though from where I can't tell)
pronunciations with the primary stress both on the first syllable and
on the second syllable.  The "Arabic" form, presumably a
transliteration of MSA, is Az-Zaqa:zi:q (I use the colon for a long
vowel), with secondary stress on the first and third syllables and
primary stress on the last.  Do any of these pronunciations reflect
the pronunciation of the name by Arabic speakers either inside or
outside of Egypt?  Thanks.
Jim Rader
Etymology Editor
Merriam-Webster, Inc.