Arabic-L:LING:Boktor

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jul 10 16:35:34 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Boktor
2) Subject: DLI Boktor
3) Subject: Boktor
4) Subject: Boktor

Date: 10 Jul 2000
From: Muhammad Deeb <mdeeb at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Boktor

				-------------------------------

			(1)	> [...] "Boktor" means "Victor"

			(2)	> Victor could be a nickname
				> for Boqtor.
				------------

***

	Strictly speaking, "BuqTur" neither means, nor functions as a
nickname for "Victor" (or vice-versa).  Further, it does not imply that a
person so named has an elevated status in society.  "BuqTur" is simply an
arabized or linguistically "corrupted" form of Victor.  Please, check "The
Christian Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt," at:

		http:/www.coptic.church.com/history.html

	This interesting article deals with Christian monasticism and its
significant role in the formation of Coptic Church in Egypt.  Among the
"Desert Fathers," i.e., the saints who founded the monasteries, one reads:
"Another saint from the Theban Legion is Saint Victor, known among Copts
as "Boktor."

		M. Deeb