Arabic-L:PEDA:Attitudes responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:14:47 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Attitudes  response

Date: 27 Jul 2000
From: alhawar at american.edu
Subject: Attitudes  response

Ahlan Nihad:

I would be surprised if you would find any study on the subject.  I think
this is due to two main reasons: 1) difficulty with operationalizing the
construct "attitude" and 2) scarcity of Arabic second language acquisition
data.  The scope of your proposed study requires an observational study in
a longitudinal setting that perhaps would also include an experimental
component.  I have touched tangentially on the issue in my Ph.D. thesis
(1999) at Georgetown University, but a better place to start would be:

Pienemann, M and M. Johnston.  1987.  "Factors influencing the development
of language acquisition". In D. Nunan (ed.) Applying Second Language
Acquisition Research.  Adelaide: Australia: National Curriculum Research
Center.

which deals with the difficulty of controlling for the effect of attitude
and the various intervening variables.

I hope this helps.

I will be interested if you let us share your findings.

best,

Mohammad T. Alhawary