Arabic-L:LIT:Quotations Query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:18:37 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Quotations Query

Date: 07 Jun 2000
From: cdemars1 at tir.com
Subject: Quotations Query

Hello,

I am an author and I am seeking to find the exact source for two
different quotes.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 Abu Yazid al-Bistami -- "All this talk and turmoil and noise
and movement and desire is outside of the veil; within the veil is
silence and calm and rest."

Jami, an Islamic poet, scholar, and religious writer, writes in his book

Yusuf and Zulaikhah:

Thou art but the glass,
And He the face confronting it, which casts
Its image on the mirror.  He alone
Is manifest, and thou in truth art hid.

These are such wonderful quotations I'd really do want to use them, but
I can't unless I
am able to discover the source.   Thank you.

Curt De Mars-Johnson
cdemars1 at tir.com