Arabic-L:PEDA:Edumagic Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:24:42 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Edumagic Response
2) Subject: Edumagic Response
3) Subject: Edumagic Response
4) Subject: Edumagic Response

Date: 07 Jun 2000
From: alaa elgibali <elgibali at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: Edumagic Response

Professor Ratcliffe, commenting on the merits of one distance learning
Arabic site, was of the opinion that "so many native-Arabic speaking
teachers of > Arabic are unwilling or unable to teach the various registers
of Arabic > as they actually use them, and seem instead to regard knowledge
of > Arabic as knowlege of a body of arcane and abstruse lore of little or >
no use to anyone."

Perhaps Professor Ratcliffe and many of the professional working in the
field of teaching Arabic as a Foreign or a Second Language would agree that
many institutions and professors of Arabic are indeed making a serious
effort to present Arabic as a modern, living language.  In doing so, we are
guided, among many things, first by our students (their changing needs and
the continuos constructive criticism they  share with us), by our own
insights into the rubrics of the language, and by our desire to establish a
forum of genuine communication that is based on a current understanding of
contemporary culture and concerns.  In this, I believe native and non-native
of Arabic are equal.

Alaa Elgibali
Arabic Language Institute
American University in Cairo