Arabic-L:LING:Thesaurus responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 21 23:05:07 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Thesaurus response
2) Subject: Thesaurus response
3) Subject: Thesaurus response

Date: 21 Jun 2000
From: mustafa abd-elghafar mughazy <mughazy at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Thesaurus response

I do not know of any recent attempt to compile an Arabic thesaurus, and I
can understand why. Early Arabs, as you mentioned, were aware of the
concept especially during the Abbasid era where they held lexical contests
(how many synonyms they knew). There are several books that list synonyms
and their shades of meaning such as fiqh al-lugha by al-tha3alibi, which
is quite available even in the States. However, to have a modern Arabic
thesaurus is, I think, a colossal project, and the result will be size of
the Encyclopedia Bratanica because of the many dialects and variations
within what some people call MSA. For example, there are about 200 words
that will be under the entry 'horse', and that is no exaggeration.

Mustafa Mughazy