Arabic-L:LING/PEDA:jiim/giim response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Sat May 6 18:21:36 UTC 2000

1) Subject: jiim/giim

Date: 06 May 2000
From: Benjamin Troutman <troutmab at gusun.georgetown.edu>
Subject:  jiim/giim

Mr. Mughazy wrote:
> Moreover, using [jiim] is called [ta3Teesh eg-giim] which suggests
> that people perceive it as unnatural pronunciation.

I would like to know who these "people" are and what an "unnatural
pronunciation" is.  Moreover, it would be interesting to find out on the
map of Arabic variations, MSA or the natural ones, where the ji:m stops
and the ka:f starts in arabic orthography in terms of pronuncing
"foreign" words.  i'd definately place my bets that anywhere in the
peninsula (besides parts of oman) we'd see the change.  just a thought...

Also regarding Arabic orthography, it's a shame that some language
grumblers and worry worts think it's a grave transgression to use the
ingenius orthography of the arabic-speaking world's persian and urdu
neighbors.

please send more comments about phonological variations and language
attitudes.  i love this stuff!

all the best,

benjamin troutman