Arabic-L:Arabic Discourse program query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Sep 5 21:31:28 UTC 2000

1) Subject: Arabic Discourse program query

Date: 05 Sep 2000
From: Abdullah Samarah <abdullah at ling.gu.se>
Subject: Arabic Discourse program query

Dear partners, the following message is explaining my requist in case of
there is someone who can guide or advice me.

Dear Sir/s I am a Ph.D. fulltime student in Gothenburg university, subject
of 'General Linguistics, Swedish membership. At the moment I am writing my
(fil.lic avhandling)= 'Licentiate thesis', according to the plan my thesis
suppose to be finish either by the end of this year 00/middle of the year
01. I would like to have the chance/opportunaty to have some activity
courses abroad Sweden for few months - to - one year maximum. For this
reason, I will be grateful to you if you give me this chance and welcome my
stay at your place, or at least you can advice me where I could have the
best chances to develop my educational level in general linguistics and
English as well.

Dear Sir, I am aiming for two central points, if I have got the chance to
study at your place,:

1. To have some activity courses regarding the following fields:

Discourse Analysis e.g. Pragmatics, Speech acts, Variation analysis, etc.
- Intercultural communication e.g. between Arabs and Westerners.
- English courses regarding e.g. academic writings. This, however, will
assist me when I extend writing my dissirtation into a Ph.D.

2. Perhaps I might try to extend my dissirtation, as possible, and to
present as a Ph.D. in the future. My thesis title is: "Feedback In Arabic
Spoken Language Communication"

Dear Sirs, the below information might be helpful to me in case of I did
not have the chance to study at your department.

I was told that the deadline to my application will be within two weeks
from now. If I have got any chance I will be glad to hear from you as soon
as possible. The following itmes might help me as well:

i) Addresses to the head offices/professors (e-mails/post mail) to several
universities that having my field of studies

ii) If you have some information regarding e.g. fellowship, assistantship,
scholarship, etc that I can support myself and my family (I have my wife
and little daughter) while I am continuing my studies there.

iii) If you have an approximate/initial idea regarding the prices e.g.
tuition fees, accomodation, personal expenses, etc I will be grateful to
receive it from you.

iv) And if you have an idea how long time it takes for me to complete my
dissertation, after having my (fil.lic) degree according to the your system.

A brief history of the applicant:

I am a Palestinian student, born in Saudi Arabia (Jeddah) and live
permanently in Sweden, graduated with BA degree in 1988 from King Abdul
Aziz university, Dept of 'Arabic Language with Literature'. Came to Sweden
in 1993 for purpose of doing my higher education, I have received my
official acceptance as a Ph.D. student in 1995. And now I am workin on my
(fil.lic. avhandling) =  Licentiate degree between Master and Doctoral.

Sorry if my letter is very long, however your suggestion will be the best
help for me. If you need any additional information regarding the above
information do not be hesitate to contact me.

You can reach me either on this e-mail, or to my home address:

A. Samarah
Klarvädersgatan 10, Flat 413,
SE- 418 39 Göteborg
E.mail: abdullah at ling.gu.se

All the best and waiting for your answer.

A. J. Samarah
Ph.D. student
Dept. of G. Linguistics
GBG, SWEDEN