Arabic-L:PEDA:AMIR University experience

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 9 22:57:18 UTC 2001

1) Subject: AMIR University experience

Date: 09 Apr 2001
From: Umm Zaynab Alhawary <farawileh at juno.com>
Subject: AMIR University experience

Regarding AMIR University's Arabic program:

Yes, unfortunately I have to recommend against the AMIR courses. My
experience was very disappointing.  I signed up for a single session of
Intermediate-I to supplement my home studies.  I asked them for a
detailed description of the curriculum several times but all they gave me
was a page that stated that the course is based around newspaper articles
but gave no further information.  Thinking that current, authentic
material is exactly what I need to supplement my studies I signed up for
the course but I was disappointed to find the following:

1)  The "newspaper articles" are really not current "newspaper" items,
just short essays much like can be found in EMSA and others.

2)  The course is "structured" as follows :  student reads the article,
and if there is a word or phrase the student doesn't know, one simply
holds the cursor over the word and the word and phrase will appear in
translation in the bottom frame.  Following the reading, students do a
number of exercises including general comprehension and one called
"grammar analysis" although it is merely a multiple choice and there is
no attempt to actually teach any grammar, style, writing, speaking,
listening, or anything.  In fact, there is no form of direct instruction
whatsoever.  There are no instructions or explanations of any kind.  It
reminds me of the series Al-9arabiyyah li n-naashi?iin, however that
series is meant to be used in conjunction in a dynamic setting with a
teacher, not in isolation as the AMIR web course is intended.

Incidentally, the course is strictly web-based and the student is not
supplemented with any other materials or books.  There is a list of
translations of grammar terms on the site, but again, nothing to directly
instruct or otherwise guide the student.  In short, there is no goal to
each lesson aside from understanding the content of the reading, and this
is achieved by simply holding the cursor over the words and receiving
translation of each sentence in the bottom frame.

3)  As other students also commented on the student message board, the
tests seem to be merely a test of how well the student memorized the
reading.  As there is no instruction in grammar, style, writing,
speaking, listening, or anything, this is likewise reflected in the test.

The AMIR Arabic courses are actually through the Arab Academy.   I have
discovered that the AMIR university may be quietly connected to the
As-Sunnah Foundation of America which is run by "Shaykh" Hisham
Kabbani--the AMIR program and Kabbani's endeavors share some staff
members.  AMIR stands for American Mercy Institute for Information and
Research and I imagine the AMIR university is an attempt to fund and
promote a very problematic organization, that is, ASFA. However, I am
unaware of any direct connection between the AMIR university and the Arab
Academy aside from thir endorsement of Arab Academy's Arabic program.
You will find all of the information at http://www.arabacademy.com

My humble opinion is that the Arab Academy program, at least at the
Intermediate level,  is a program still in development, because what is
offered is only one piece of what should be a much broader curriculum. It
seems that, although they have clearly articulated their goals for the
Beginner program, they are unsure of their goals beyond that.
Personally, I think it should be suspended until the curriculum is more
complete.  To their credit, though, the staff and the program developer
were very helpful and understanding and promptly gave me a refund,
although the $35 registration fee is non-refundable.

Umm Zaynab Alhawary (Jennifer Crooker)