Arabic-L:GEN:Farewell Salim

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Apr 11 15:26:29 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Farewell Salim

Date: 04 Apr 2001
From: "Muhammad S. Eissa" <eissa at umich.edu>
Subject: Farewell Salim

Dear All friends and colleagues:

     This is a message I do not ever wish to announce about anyone.
Nevertheless, someone has to do it. My dear colleague and friend Aleya
Rouchdy of Wayne State university shares with me relating the following
lines to all of you.

     Our dear friend, dedicated colleague and sincere teacher Salim Khaldieh
has passed away today, Tuesday April 10 at 3:00 P.M. While in the hospital.
It is a great loss to all of us in many respects and it is a much greater
loss to his family and his students who loved him very dearly. Before
departing this world, Salim has touched the hearts of many of us. He has
intrusted us with so much of his witty spirit and original humor. Many of
us who shared happy moments with him will miss his animated style of
narration and his smart citation of authentic idiomatic expressions. Salim
will be remembered for so much and we will make sure that his memory will
not be buried with his body.

     As many of his close friends know, he was very proud of who he is and
where he comes from. In honor of this pride, his family has decided to bury
him in his homeland, Lebanon. However, those who live in the Detroit area
and its vicinity may pay the last respect to his body between 11:00 A.M.
and 6:00 P.M. in the following address:

                     NIE Funeral Home,
                     2400 Carpenter Rd.
                     Ann Arbor, MI

                     Phone: (734)971-2345

     In commemorating and perpetuating the legacy of Salim, Wayne State
University has established a fund for a special scholarship in Salim's
name.  Any donation towards the fund can be mailed to:

                     Dr. Aleya Rouchdy,
                     Department of Near Eastern and Asian Studies,
                     Wayne State University,
                     Manoogian Hall,
                     Detroit,  MI 48202

      Tax deductible checks should be made payable to:

               WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY - SALIM KHALDIEH FUND

     Let's remind ourselves of all the good memories we have of each other.
May God protect you and your loved ones.

     salaam

Muhammad S. Eissa,
Department of Near Eastern Studies,
University of Michigan,