Arabic-L:PEDA:AMIR University responds

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Apr 11 15:38:36 UTC 2001

1) Subject: AMIR University responds
2) Subject: AMIR University responds

Date: 11 Apr 2001
From: Sanaa Ghanem <sanaa at arabacademy.com>
Subject: AMIR University responds

I would like to respond to Umm Zaynab as follows:
1.  Students' Critique
We greatly appreciate our students' critique and we strongly encourage it.
It is through their criticism that we improve our online courses and
material.
Umm Zaynab was one of our first students at the Intermediate level.  She
dropped out after a week and sent us a long E-mail outlining what she
disliked.  Her comments led to major enhancements to the course.  We are
grateful to her for that.
As a matter of fact, we have students' boards where our students discuss the
courses.  All praise and criticism are left there for everybody to read.
Not a singly comment was every removed.  We are proud of our students and
strive to meet their needs and expectations.

2.  AMIR:
The Arab Academy is a privately owned non-religious institution.  Its online
courses and material are being used by non-religious as well as by religious
institutions.  Please check out our list of partners from:
http://arabacademy.com/partners_list_e.htm
None of our partners, and this includes AMIR, ever interfered with the
content of the courses.  After all, please remember that the Arab Academy
offers courses in Arabic language - not in religion.
On the other hand, I found AMIR's administrative staff always attentive to
the needs of their students.  They are to be praised for their sincere
efforts at using the latest technology in the dissemination of knowledge.

3.  New Wave of Learning
In the 20th century we all studied through books.  Now online interactive
courses are being used as well.  This is done in addition to books or
instead of them, depending on many parameters.
In general, universities that have ongoing Arabic language program,
subscribe to the Arab Academy's Resource Center.  They use the interactive
material as supplementary material to their textbooks.  Below is a link to
the material offered:
Universities that do not have an Arabic Language Program partner with us and
offer Arabic to their students.  Below is a list of course offerings:
http://arabacademy.com/main/online/registrar_e.shtml
We hope that these efforts would make learning Arabic easier and more
accessible to everybody.

4.  Research Opportunities
The Arab Academy is aware that it is a pioneer in the field of online
learning.  We are very willing to help researchers study this experience and
compare it to traditional methods.  Prepare your questionnaires and we will
ask our students to fill them out for you.
Best regards
Sanaa Ghanem