Arabic-L:GEN:Salim Khaldieh Obituary

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 16 18:34:07 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Salim Khaldieh Obituary
2) Subject: Picture of Salim

Date: 16 Apr 2001
From: Aleya Rouchdy <ad5006 at wayne.edu>
Subject: Salim Khaldieh Obituary

Dr. Salim Khaldieh, assistant professor at WSU, has passed away on
April 10, 2001 at the age of 44.    Services and burial were in
Lebanon.

Dr. Khaldieh taught in the Department of Near Eastern and Asian
studies at WSU for the past four years.  A  most dedicated teacher,
he  recently received the College of Liberal Arts Teaching Award. He
had recently completed and submitted for publication a manuscript on
the teaching of Arabic as a second language.

He played a major role in the development and recruitment of students
in the Department of Near Eastern and Asian Studies.  He
relentlessly worked with students, and developed new teaching
materials to suit the needs of a diverse student body.  He never
hesitated to teach overload courses in order to satisfy the needs or
our students and his students enjoyed discussing all aspects of
Arabic with him and learned a great deal from his expertise and
insights.

³ Salim was the perfect colleague,²  said Dr. Aleya Rouchdy, chair of
the Department of Near Eastern and Asian Languages.   ³His services
to the Department were numerous. He was always available beyond his
regular duty hours to help us or advise our students.  I will always
remember his animated style of narration, his constant citation of
humorous idiomatic expressions, and his warm laughter.  We will miss
him as a colleague, but above all we will miss Salim as a dear young
friend.²

The Salim Khaldieh  Scholarship  has been established by the
Department of Near Eastern and Asian Languages to assist students in
the study of Arabic Language and Culture.  Contributions may be made
payable to ³Wayne State University²,  with the notation Salim
Khaldieh Fund, and mailed to the Department at Room 437 Manoogian
Hall, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202.