Arabic-L:GEN:School of Abbasid Studies

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Aug 17 21:33:46 UTC 2001

1) Subject: School of Abbasid Studies

Date:  17 Aug 2001
From: <John.Nawas at arts.kuleuven.ac.be>
Subject: School of Abbasid Studies

The School of Abbasid Studies

The School of Abbasid Studies was originally founded by Dr DEP Jackson =
and the late Professor JN Mattock in the early eighties and was based at =
the University of St Andrews. After some years in abeyance, we are now =
proposing to revive it. We plan to have biennial meetings at the =
Universities of Cambridge, Leuven and St Andrews (in turn), beginning in =
July 2002. The dates chosen for the first such meeting are the 6th =
to10th of July, 2002.

The School of Abbasid Studies is intended to provide a forum for the =
discussion of the political, cultural, social, economic, religious and =
intellectual life of the Abbasid Caliphate from c.700-c.1050 CE, a
period bounded by the formative period of early Islam and the arrival of =
the Seljuqs. (The Fatimid Caliphate and al-Andalus will only be covered =
tangentially). The aim of the School is to bring together in one =
colloquium scholars working on the Abbasid world but in disciplines =
which would rarely 'talk' together: we propose to work towards a =
holistic contemplation of the Abbasid world. This will, we hope, fill an =
important gap in the current provision of colloquia and workshops =
devoted to the history and culture
of the Islamic world.

Further details about the School can be obtained from any of the =
organizers: Professor Hugh Kennedy (hnk at st-andrews.ac.uk), Dr James =
Montgomery (jem33 at cam.ac.uk), and Professor John Nawas
(John.Nawas at arts.kuleuven.ac.be).