Arabic-L:LING:refs. on Arabic and the internet, religious discourse query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Aug 17 21:34:54 UTC 2001

1) Subject: refs. on Arabic and the internet, religious discourse query

Date:  17 Aug 2001
From: Robert Kirk Belnap <rkb at email.byu.edu>
Subject: refs. on Arabic and the internet, religious discourse query

I am interested to know what papers/books you would recommend that address the
issue of the sociolinguistics of Arabic email, chat or similar electronic
discourse.  I'm particularly interested in work that documents the type of
Arabic used (including its use in codeswitching in this medium).

I would also like to know what you have read (or written) that documents the
increased use of vernacular Arabic in such settings as Friday sermons, as well
as on popular religious cassette tapes, TV, or radio programs.

Many thanks!

Kirk