Arabic-L:TRANS:Arabic Fire-fighting Terminology Response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Aug 29 21:30:11 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Arabic Fire-fighting Terminology Response

Date:  29 Aug 2001
From: Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject: Arabic Fire-fighting Terminology Response

Greetings  / herzliche Gruesse aus Los Angeles!

I am responding to a post on your behalf in the Arabic-L TRANS list.

The most-likely or most-proximate references would be bilingual specialized
dictionaries that deal with public safety, police and civil defense.

Re your description (excerpted here): < a wireless camera/control unit used
by firefighters to send pictures from smoke-filled rooms,... >.

If you could send (preferably e-mail or fax to +01.310.832.1037) the source
text to me to examine, I may be able to assist you with that translation or
do that for you, if your OS supports Arabic MS Word 2000. That unit sounds
much like a self-propelled, remote-controlled videocamera, which design is in
fairly common use by police, fire and civil defense departments for
examination and disposal of suspected explosive devices and for searching
cramped spaces where humans cannot enter and move.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Los Angeles,

Stephen H. Franke
Middle East Services Group (Consultancy)