Arabic-L:TRANS:Indirect Speech $ Lost article query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Aug 29 21:31:32 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Indirect Speech $ Lost article query

Date:  29 Aug 2001
From: "Chahine M. Hamila" <hchahine at magic.fr>
Subject: Indirect Speech $ Lost article query

Hi,
In the MEMRI dispatch no. 197 which you can find at
http://www.memri.org/sd/SP19701.html
translations attributed to late Al-Husseini are translated from the
Lebanese newspaper Al-Safir, issued on March 21,2001.
I've had the article in my hands but I lost it, so I would be very
grateful if anyone could send me a scan of the original if you have it.

I also have a question for professional translators, since I am not one.
Is it an acceptable method of translation to translate a 3rd person
report in a 1st person verbatim quote? In a long enough sentence,
wouldn't that induce a discrepancy with the original where the
seperation between the author's words and the subject's is not obvious?
In case the question is unclear and I can obtain the article, I will
send an example to illustrate.

Thank you in advance for your help and answers,
Regards,
Chahine