Arabic-L:GEN:Ghoul

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Feb 1 20:51:18 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Ghoul
2) Subject: Ghoul

Date: 01 Feb 2001
From: sam231 <sam231 at gwu.edu>
Subject: Ghoul

Indeed we use ghuul/a to describe peole sometimes. For example person who is
aggressive, greedy, or someone with uncombed hair "sha9r mankuush" (especially
a woman with long hair) flying everywhere (not as Nizaar Qabbaani described
"washsha9ru lghagariyyu lmagnuun"). We use it both ghuul (masc.) and ghuulah
(fem.) in such expressions wondering about them "maalu 9aamil zayy 'ilghuul
kidah" or "maalhaa sha9raha mankuush zayy 'ilghuulah kidah leeh".
However I heard only of 'umminaa 'ilghuulah and never had the pleasure of
hearing of the other members of the family.
Samia Montasser