Arabic-L:GEN:Critical Language

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Feb 14 22:33:23 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Critical Language

Date: 14 Feb 2001
From: J M <jmurg at star.net>
Subject: Critical Language

I don't have any specific references on critical languages, but there
must be many. A search in a government repository library or the
Library of Congress probably would yield relevant documents. The idea
goes back several decades. Several languages were designated
"critical," and there were fellowship programs, summer institutes,
research grants, and so on. I can remember the NDFL program, for
example, National Defense Foreign Language fellowships, in the
1970's. In fact, I think these were created by an act of Congress, so
there should be references in the Congressional Record.

And, of course, Arabic was/is one of these critical languages.

Jackie Murgida