Arabic-L:GEN:More on Ghoul

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 24 16:55:59 UTC 2001

1) Subject:  'ummina -l-ghuula
2) Subject:  'ummina -l-ghuula

Date: 42 Jan 2001
From: Galila Salib "GSalib at al.com"
Subject: 'ummina -l-ghuula

I agree with Waheed.
The saying could also be said as follows: "lawla salaamak sabaq kalaamak,
kunt-i-'akalt lahmak 'abl-i- edaamak."

Here is a fable from the verbal tradition: Some children were taken by
'ummina -l ghuula. They asked her to let them go and swim in the canal. She
agreed on the condition that they carry a drum and beat on it all the time.
The children hung the drum on a tree where the wind beat on it. They crossed
the canal and escaped. I think that the moral here is to teach little
children to use their brain intelligently.

Kamil 'al-kilani's children books represent pictures of al-ghuul.