Arabic-L:LING:Ongoing Discussions/gender

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:27:05 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Ongoing Discussions/gender
2) Subject: Ongoing Discussions/gender

Date: 14 Mar 2001
From: "Schub, Michael" <michael.schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject: Ongoing Discussions/gender

  Maybe  Haamil,  Haa'iD etc. on the one hand, and 9allaamatun,
raawiyatun, etc. on the other hand are examples of "polarity"
like  / thalaathatu  rijaalin / through  / 9asharatu  rijaalin / on
the one hand, and  / thalaathu  niswatin /  [a  'jam9  qillah !!]
through  / 9asharu  niswatin / on the other, i.e.  "masculine"
numerals with feminine nouns and versa vice.
    Best wishes.
                                        Mike Schub