Arabic-L:'head' and 'dependent' responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:10:44 UTC 2001

1) Subject: 'head' and 'dependent' response
2) Subject: 'head' and 'dependent' response
3) Subject: 'head' and 'dependent' response

Date: 14 Mar 2001
From: Michael Fishbein <FISHBEIN at humnet.ucla.edu>
Subject: 'head' and 'dependent' response

I wonder whether the difficulty in translating these terms has to do
with the way in
which the older Arabic grammarians analyzed sentences. They thought in terms of
'amil (or, 'aamil, if you prefer), which is generally translated as
'regens' (pl.
regentia). G. Weil, whose article 'Amil was written for EI-1, but
also appears in
EI-2, defines an 'amil as: "a word, which, by the syntactical
influence which it
exercises on a word that follows, causes a grammatical alteration of the last
syllable of the latter, i.e. a change of case or mood. Given the structure of
Arabic, the 'amil almost always precedes the word it governs, and so
can be called
"head" of the construction.

However, I have been unable to find the term for the word on which the 'amil
exercises its influence. Is it al-ma'mul fihi? Logically, one would
expect it to be
this, but I have no text to cite. Can anyone help?

Michael Fishbein