Arabic-L:LING:Adjectives and Nouns Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 28 22:21:02 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Adjectives and Nouns Response
1) Subject: Adjectives and Nouns Response

Date: 28 Mar 2001
From: "Schub, Michael" <michael.schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject: Adjectives and Nouns Response

Dear Abby,

      I bought a nice Persian for my bedroom floor--my wife

became furious!

      The term  /al-9arabiyyatu/ is a substantivised noun, i.e.

it is originally an adjective in the expression /al-lughatu

l-9arabiyyatu/ [Above, I intended a Persian cat or rug--would you

like to go out and eat some Chinese tonight?]

      Can any adjective in Arabic be substantivised (=used as

a noun)?

      Best wishes,

                                       Unsubstantivised in Hartford,

                                       Mike Schub