Arabic-L:LING:Antilebanon etymology responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon May 7 14:51:58 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Antilebanon etymology response
2) Subject: Antilebanon etymology response
3) Subject: Antilebanon thanks

Date: 07 May 2001
From: Ernest McCarus <enm at umich.edu>
Subject: Antilebanon etymology response

The Lebanon Mountains run north and south along the Mediterranean
shore of Lebanon; beyond the Baqaa' Plain is another range, between
Lebanon and Syria, called the Anti-Lebanon Mountains, the "mountains
opposite the Lebanon mts."  "Anti-" is the Latin prefix meaning
"against", "opposite of".