Arabic-L:TRANS:tarbiya fanniyya vs taŒliim fanni

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed May 30 15:00:43 UTC 2001

1) Subject: tarbiya fanniyya vs taŒliim fanni
2) Subject: it's art
3) Subject: it's arts education
4) Subject: it's fine arts
5) Subject: it's vocational education
6) Subject: Jackie's response

Date: 30 May 2001
From: Hossam Ibrahim <hdilinguistics at yahoo.com>
Subject: tarbiya fanniyya vs taŒliim fanni

In Egypt we refer to "tarbiya fanniyya" in our schools to refer to classes
on drawing/painting or music.  So it is "art" classes.  Technical education
is a different story, it is "ta'liim fanni" which is an educational track
(as opposed to general secondary education that prepares young people for
college) taken after the eighth grade to prepare people to work as
technicians in such areas as mechanics, electricity, air-conditions,
electronics, etc.

Hossam Eldin Ibrahim
English Department, Alexandria University
Egypt