Arabic-L:TRANS:mediation Thanks

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:12:03 UTC 2001

1) Subject: mediation Thanks

Date:  01 Nov 2001
From: jgreenman at t-online.de (Joe Greenman)
Subject: mediation Thanks

My thanks to Waheed and Iman for their replies to my inquiry.

The question came up because my wife is starting some cross-cultural community
mediation activities (dealing - among other things - with cases of ethnic
discrimination) here in Berlin and anticipates requests for services from the
city's sizable Arab community.

Mediation isn't very well known in Germany in general, and none of our Arab
friends has expressed familiarity with the concept other than in the political-
or labor-dispute context.

I think we're gonna go with waSaaTah, since to my non-native ears, $afaa9ah
seems to have a connotation of "advocacy / intercession" that should probably
not be associated with mediation, ... or am I hearing things wrong?

Best regards,
Joe