Arabic-L:LING:Southern Egyptian and Sudanese Dialects query

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:18:29 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Southern Egyptian and Sudanese Dialects query

Date:  01 Nov 2001
From: acaridad at wanadoo.es
Subject: Southern Egyptian and Sudanese Dialects query

Dear gentlemen:

I write you because I`m very interested in history of arabic dialects, =
specially in those of Southern Egypt (saidi) and Sudan. Could you answer =
my questions about this subject?

- When were made the first dictionaries and grammars of each one of =
these dialects? who wrote them?
- Have these dialects been used at any time during their history, as =
literary languages? there are any book or newspaper written in these =
dialects?
- Does it exist any institution created to promote the use of these =
dialects? when was it founded?
- Which influences have received these dialects throughout its history? =
from which languages or dialects? at which centuries?

Please, ask as many questions as you can. It`s so difficult to get =
information about this subject.

If you could give the name or e-mail address of any expert in sudanese =
or saidi arabic, I would be also very happy.

I wait for your answer
Best regards
Antonio Caridad