Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic Program Opinion responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 14 22:00:45 UTC 2001

1) Subject: Arabic Program Opinion responses

Date:  14 Nov 2001
From: khorshid <khorshid at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: Arabic Program Opinion responses

Chris,

I have taught both for institutions and privately. In institutions you are
governed by their rules. When you teach privately, you are your own master.
When I do so, I start teaching the Arabic language, colloquial and also Modern
Standard Arabic (MSA) orally, no books, but many pictures and realia. If you
want to start a new program I strongly recommend doing the first semester
completely orally (again, no books no alphabet).This should give your students
strong communication skills and will encourage the teacher towards the same
end.

Regards
Ahmad Khorshid
Arabic Language Instructor