Arabic-L:TRANS:allaah responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Oct 29 18:49:05 UTC 2001

1) Subject: allaah in Maltese
2) Subject: allaah in Dutch e-mails
3) Subject: allaah response

Date:  29 Oct 2001
From: Mark Camilleri <markcam at mail.global.net.mt>
Subject: allaah in Maltese

Hello,

We Maltese, though our language is classified as an Arabic dialect
by some linguists, we are of the Catholic religion. As far as "Allah"
goes we call him "Alla" and for "Rabb" we use "Mulej" (Mula in Arabic).
Malta was a Muslim colony in the Middle Ages an though our language
changed much since then, the name of "Alla/h" remained the same
because our forefathers saw the similarities between Christianity and
Islam and between Allah and Alla.

Thank you,
Mark