Arabic-L:GEN:Would you like to outline my dissertation for me?

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 22 22:46:07 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Would you like to outline my dissertation for me?

Date:  22 Apr 2002
From:ghounanib at yahoo.com
Subject:Would you like to outline my dissertation for me?

Dear Sir,
   First of all,let me introduce myself . I am a native
speaker of Arabic.I've a "BA" degree in English.I am a
  postgraduate student.I have finished the theoretical
  year .I am preparing a proposal for an "MA" degree at
  Constantine University in Algeria in"Linguistics and
  Translation(Arabic-English) ".My intention is to work
  within the scope of contrastive analysis and error
  analysis. I haven't limited my research topic yet
,but
  I intend to make a contrastive study between Arabic
  and English taking into account a specific aspect of
  the language that may be THE MAJOR CAUSE OF ERRORS
  MADE BY THE ARAB TRANSLATORS OR LEARNERS(beginners).
  This will be the first part of my
  Dissertation.We really lack documents in this field
in
  Algeria.I've read the few references that I have
about
  "passivization" and "transitivity", I haven't really
  noticed any difference between the two
  languages(Arabic-English) concerning the two aspects
  cited above.I don't know if the difference really
  doesn't exist or I lack documents in this
  domain."Word-order" in the structure is an aspect
that
  I also see worth debating.
  .As I didn't
  manage to get enough references about passivization"
  and "transitivity",I decided to work on " error
  analysis "in the process of translation.The suggested
  title to my dissertation is : "The influence of
  standard Arabic on translation students'
performance".
  I would like you to suggest the points that should
  be discussed,i.e.,  a kind of outline for the
  theoretical part of my dissertation.
   Concerning the second part,my intention
  is to work with English-language users (L2) who are
  starting to learn how to translate from/to
  Arabic(L1).I intend to provide my subjects with a
  passage to translate.The translation should be
  analysed  to see the type of errors and their
  sources.. So, could you please
  suggest anything that can help me fullfil my
  dissertation or send me any documents that you see
  relevent to my topic ? In case you know someboby who
  is more knowledgable about such a subject,please
refer
  me to him/her. I REALLY NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE.SO, I AM
  WAITING FOR AN ANSWER. Thank you

            Best regards,

                   Mr.Brahim GHOUNANI

  Mr.Brahim GHOUNANI