Arabic-L:LING:Arabic Psychological & Psycholinguistics Research response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Apr 29 22:26:29 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Arabic Psychological & Psycholinguistics Research response

Date:  29 Apr 2002
From:Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject:Arabic Psychological & Psycholinguistics Research response

Greetings.

Kindly send some additional details on your specific interests.

Depending on the focus and field of your psychology research, you might
look
at the several monographs and articles (all in the English, although some
other psychologists and psychiatrists have written in the Arabic) by:

o  John Racy, MD
      (He is at University of Arizona, IIRC. His wife has also done and
published research, mostly on emigre adjustment and somatization among
Gulf
Arab populations in the GCC countries.)

o  Levon H. Melikian, MD
    (He may still be on faculty as Professor of Psychology at University
of
Qatar; at AUB during the 1970s, IIRC)

There are a few other practitioners, but I can't recall them immediately.

I would be glad to advise and refer you to some other sources as I can,
if
you kindly provide more details.

I am doing some psycholinguistics research involving assessment,
education,
training and integration of Gulf Arab managers and technicians for
technology
transfers and economic offset projects. Some initial "spin-off" results
are
apparent in regard to:

o  Arabization or adaptation of foreign terms and concepts dealing with
technologies ("Arabish" used in technology and business)

o  Concepts of leadership, decision-making, and styles of management and
operations (adaptations of TQM, Six Sigma, et al)

o  Adaptation of "management best practices" for multinational staffs and
workforces in "industrial participation" programs in the "lower Gulf"
region

HTH. Good luck.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards from Los Angeles,