Arabic-L:PEDA:Long and Short vowels

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Aug 6 18:43:52 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Long and Short vowels

Date:  06 Aug 2002
From:Haroon Shirwani <haroon.shirwani at st-johns.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject:Long and Short vowels

Firstly, many thanks (belatedly) to all those who helped with the query
about the differences between "li" and "3ind", especially Mustafa
Mughazy. (So, if a beginner asks, I can say that "li" is for inalienable
possession and "3ind" is for alienable possession.)

Now for another query. Some beginners (and some more advanced students)
I come across have trouble distinguishing between long and short vowels
when reading aloud. Firstly, why does this happen? Secondly, should it
be a cause for concern? Thirdly, if so, how can it be "remedied".
Thanks.
Yours,
Haroon