Arabic-L:PEDA:SLS looking for New Instructional Materials to publish

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Aug 13 22:11:46 UTC 2002

1) Subject:SLS looking for New Instructional Materials to publish

Date:  13 Aug 2002
From:John Skawski <John at spokenlanguage.com>
Subject:SLS looking for New Instructional Materials to publish

Dear Instructor of Arabic,

My name is David Haas, and I'm a student in Comparative Literature at
Cornell University.  Currently, I am working as a publishing intern with
Spoken Language Services, Inc.

I am writing because Spoken Language Services, Inc. is presently seeking
accomplished authors of new instructional materials in Arabic, as well
as in
other languages.  In particular, we are interested in materials with an
audio-visual or multimedia component.

Keeping course materials current with the latest language-learning
techniques and methodologies is one of our most important goals, and as
part
of this effort, we are seeking accomplished authors of new instructional
materials.

You may be familiar with our Arabic-English dictionary, A Dictionary of
Modern Written Arabic, edited by J. Milton Cowan, founder of Spoken
Language
Services.  In addition to the dictionary and our publication Spoken
Arabic
by Merrill Y. Van Wagoner, we currently offer a series of English as a
Foreign Language, including English for Iranians, and will review
materials
geared toward students learning English as well.

I would like to take a moment, though, to further introduce you to Spoken
Language Services, Inc.  Cornell University Professor J. Milton Cowan,
founder and then Chairman of the Division of Modern Languages at Cornell,
founded Spoken Language Services in 1972.  His emphasis on the language's
spoken dimension as the proper starting point for acquiring a non-native
tongue is the guiding principle of our language learning courses,
instructional materials, and related reference works.  SLS is integrated
into the systems of the largest US book distributors, among them Baker &
Taylor, Ingram, and Amazon.com.

Please contact me by telephone at (607)-256-0500 or by email at
bob at spokenlanguage.com with any questions or suggestions.  Materials
submitted for review may be sent to the following address:

		Spoken Language Services, Inc.
				Publishing Department
		P.O. Box 783
		Ithaca, NY  14851

Our catalog is available upon request, and you may also visit us on the
web
at www.spokenlanguage.com

Sincerely,
David Haas