Arabic-L:PEDA:Long and short vowels response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Aug 13 22:11:43 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Long and short vowels response

Date:  13 Aug 2002
From:Haruko SAKAEDANI <harukos at aa.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject:Long and short vowels response

For example, the English words "bees" and "biz" are recognaized as
[biiz] and [biz]
but in fact, there is no length difference between them.
Actually, they are pronounced [biz] (with tensed i) and [bIz] (with
laxed i) .

On the other hand, the vowel length of "bii (by me)" is diferent from
that of "bi (by)" in Arabic.
If some English-speaking learners pronounce them as [bi] and [bI]
with the transference from their native language
they do not pronounce "bii (by me)" with a long vowel but short one in
reality.

So i think that they may believe that they had pronounced long vowels.
Sorry for my English.

Haruko SAKAEDANI
harukos at aa.tufs.ac.jp