Arabic-L:LING:Needs Short Intro to Arabic for Linguists

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Dec 11 21:30:51 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Needs Short Intro to Arabic for Linguists

Date:  11 Dec 2002
From: "gwitty at earthlink.net"
Subject:Needs Short Intro to Arabic for Linguists

Dear udabaa'

I've been working at the Linguistic Data Consortium, which is affiliated
with
the U. of Pennsylvania, on various computational linguistics projects
dealing with Arabic.   Many of the folks who work here are professional
linguists who have never studied Arabic.  (they keep telling me they
want
to but don't have the time)  Part of what I'm doing is explaining to
them
various ways in which the Arabic language does things differently from
English.   They've asked me if there are any good general introductions
"how the Arabic language works,"  written for linguists.

Can anyone recommend a source or two (preferably chapter length, not a
whole book) which ideally would assume no knowledge of Arabic but is
written with an audience of linguists in mind?  There must be a
linguistics
textbook somewhere which has this sort of thing...

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
al-Mukhlis
Gordon