Arabic-L:PEDA:more Large vocabulary responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Sat Dec 14 00:18:11 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Large vocabulary response
2) Subject:Large vocabulary response

Date:  13 Dec 2002
From: Antonio GimÈnez <huesteantigua at yahoo.es>
Subject:Large vocabulary response

Dear Munir,

Maybe you will find interesting *The Semantics of Form in Arabic, in the
Mirror of European Languages* by David Justice (1987). He says, among
other
things, that "public understanding of Arabic has suffered from much the
same
stereotyping and exoticism as has that of Chinese, aggravated perhaps by
political factors" (p. 7) and revises many commonplaces about Arabic and
Arabic learning.

Personally, I agree with Jan Hoogland's response. Most Arabic speakers
and
media do not use but a small part of what is listed in Arabic
dictionaries.
The same applies to any language with a large textual corpus. As a
native
Spanish speaker, I cannot imagine having to use or know every Spanish
word
included in the smallest dictionary. The thing is that many methods and
dictionaries for Arabic learners pay little or any attention to
pragmatics
and diachronical aspects: everything is Arabic, sure, but which
century's
Arabic? This leads many students to take their Wehr's dictionary as an
"impossible must learn", making no distinction between common words,
not-so-common words and archaisms. Nearly native ability is replaced,
as a
desirable while difficult aim to attain, by an impossible encyclopedic
knowledge. This results in many learners clinging to their dictionaries
look up every word they find without retaining any of them because they
lack
a living experience of the language.

In other words, native speakers swim in a lake of vocabulary and just go
into "the ocean" as scholars, while learners are directly thrown into
this
same ocean without any life jacket...

I have been teaching Spanish to Arab elementary learners, most of them
fluent in French, for 3 years and I don't think there is such a thing
as an
Arabic native speakers' gift for other languages. As far as I am
concerned,
optimistic results in their vocabulary achievements should be related
to the
fact that I tried to throw them "in a swimming pool", avoiding rare
terms.
Of course, there are many other reasons like attitude and learners'
beliefs
about the aimed language which could be discussed.

Antonio Giménez
huesteantigua at yahoo.es